I upgraded my old Ruby 1.8.2 install at work to 1.8.6 today. Thank god for unit tests. A good dozen tests of 900 failed, in the code I've churned out over the past year. If I hadn't caught the bugs all right away they would've wreaked havoc. I've learned the hard way never to upgrade anything until / unless there's a good reason to, but I had to do it to Ruby today.
In other news, today I learned the wonders of
iw in vim (as opposed to
w). Funny how I could use vim for so long and not pick up some of these things which are so obvious and so useful.
iw operate on the whole word the cursor is in, forwards and backwards regardless of where in the word your cursor is. (Whereas
w< goes from the current cursor position forward.) I can think of plenty of times that would've come in handy in the past. Of course there are equivalents that select sentences, the insides of quotes, blocks, paragraphs, etc., all prefixed with