Another year down the drain. A good year, in the end.
2010 Geek Achievements
- Wrote some code...
- Finished a huge project for work, my first AJAX-y web app (in Rails). That was fun, albeit stressful.
- Learned a lot of git.
- Learned a lot of Clojure.
- Learned a lot of Emacs.
- Learned a lot of PostgreSQL. It's good to be free of MySQL.
- Switched to ZSH. This was a good switch.
- Tried to learn a lot of Japanese, but kind of fizzled out at the end of the year.
- Alllllllmost got a Clojure gold badge on Stack Overflow. I'll get it soon though. Not losing any sleep over it either way.
- Read a lot of books. The best: probably Feynman's books of anecdotes.
- Blogged a bit. Got an article in Hacker Monthly. Was flamed repeatedly. Learned a lot in the process.
2010 Non-Geek Achievements
- Immigrated to Canada. A good move, without a doubt.
- Lost 25ish lbs. :)
- Learned how to cook better.
- My most important achievement from 2010 is actually non-geek: I finally obtained a bit of an offline social life. This is not an easy task for one such as myself.
- Continued to learn to appreciate good beer. Longwood Dunkelweizen, mmm.
- Did not blog enough.1
- Did not write enough code.1
- Missed the first Clojure Conj. Maybe next year.
- Re-gained 10ish lbs. :( 2
Plans for 2011
- Re-lose 25ish pounds. I'd like to reach the weight I had in college.
- Finish my rewrite of oyako. I have ambitious plans for it, if I can just find the time.
- Finish my rewrite of cow-blog to match oyako.
- Keep working on the RPG my wife and I are creating (in Clojure).
- Attend the next Clojure Conj, I hope.
- Learn more Clojure.
- Learn Haskell? Trying and failing to learn Haskell has become somewhat of a tradition, no sense stopping now.
- Learn all 2000+ jouyou kanji by the end of the year.
- Supar sekrit projekt. But I haven't signed the contract for it yet so I won't talk about it until I do.
- Maintain social life at acceptable levels.
- Buy a house.
I feel like I have solid plans for completing each of these things. Blogging more often and finishing oyako are high on my list of priorities. I expect 2011 to be my most productive year to date.
See also non-geek achievement #3, "Learned how to cook better". ↩