I've been working on that script to convert Gnome icon themes to KDE icon themes. My first goal is to get Buuf to work.
I came up with a way of doing this. I downloaded the Tango icon theme. To install Tango you have to actually
./configure && make && make install it. Running configure like this:
./configure --enable-png-creation --prefix=~/some_temp_dir
spits out a nicely formed icon theme that follows a standard naming convention, and makes a ton of symlinks so that both KDE and Gnome can find the icons (because neither Gnome nor KDE follow that convention, sadly).
So I wrote a Ruby script that crawled through the Tango directories and recorded all the symlinks that had been created. Then I wrote another Ruby script that crawled through the Buuf Gnome icon theme directories, copied the existing PNGs there to the "standard" locations as recorded from the Tango theme, and then made a bunch of symlinks to those. The result is a theme that appears to cover both KDE AND Gnome apps. See for example my K-menu, where (most) Gnome and KDE apps are properly themed (click for a bigger version):
There are still some bugs to be worked out; I need to have the script dump a properly-formed index.desktop file for example. And I may try to track down a parseable version of the naming convention itself rather than "guessing" at the convention based on the Tango icons, given that the Tango icons may not be fully implementing the naming convention. I also need to test it with other themes, not just Buuf. Once I get those things worked out I'll put an alpha version of the script here so others can (hopefully) use it.